Silver Circle Distillery is a craft spirits distillery in Catbrook, Monmouthshire, 40 minutes from Bristol and 50 minutes from Cardiff. We launched the distillery in July 2019, and have a growing reputation for developing exciting spirits and offering high quality experiences to visitors in the Wye Valley.
We are looking for motivated and responsible employees to join our small team and help us grow our business.
The assistant distiller will be an integral part of our team, and will take part in the development of Silver Circle products, by creating and developing various craft spirits, assisting in distillation planning and execution, production, managing inventory, and regulatory compliance.
The position will be divided between distilling related duties and public facing work. At our distillery, the distillers lead the tours and “Make your own gin” experiences, as well as represent us at different events. This will also be a part of your day to day work.
Distilling experience is not a must, but extensive experience and knowledge about spirits and how they are made is essential. This is an ideal position for someone with experience in bars or the drinks industry looking to develop their interest and skills. Teamwork is key, as well as living the vision and culture of the distillery. Your personality and passion is the most important thing, we will provide training in all distillery processes.
Job Responsibilities / Distilling:
- Assist with the hands-on production of consistently high quality spirits and bottled cocktails, including handling raw materials, macerating, distilling and blending
- Assist in the packaging of all spirits including labeling, bottling, packaging and sorting
- Gain extensive knowledge of all recipes and flavor profiles for each spirit
- Work with the Head Distiller to ensure that flavor profiles are correct and what to do to correct the profile to ensure a consistently high quality
- Assist in recipe development for new spirits and bottled cocktails, including for white label customers
- Must be willing to learn and follow all aspects of operations, set up, change, clean and run all equipment used in production
- Record keeping – accurately collect and record data
Job Responsibilities / Public facing:
- Leading our highly rated distillery experiences and tours, such as “Make your own gin”
- Being involved in running the bar and shop, serving customers with samples and cocktails
- Assisting in creating cocktail menus for our cocktail events and experiences
- Representing the distillery at food festivals, trade shows, external tastings and other events
The ideal candidate:
- Analytical and highly organised
- Self-starter, high level of initiative
- Strong interest in distilling and all related processes
- Good communicator, articulate and friendly
- Passion for spirits and hospitality
- Ability to work in a multi-skilled dynamic environment
- High level of computer literacy (emails, web, Excel, Word, Social Media)
- Writing and maths skills necessary to accurately complete dilution calculations, volume, weight, pressure, alcohol content, and other unit conversions
- Creative and innovative with a great palate
- Previous experience of working in a distillery, or in another part of the hospitality, bars or drinks industry
- Familiarity with alcoholic beverage production techniques (distillery, brewery, winery, etc.)
- At least 21 years of age
- The distillery is based in a rural location, and the job requires visits to other sites, so being able to drive and having your own transportation is a must.
Full time, 40 hours per week. Working days are Tuesday-Saturday, 10am to 6pm. Occasional evenings and Sundays. Salary: £24,000 / year.
We are a female owned, equal opportunities employer and welcome candidates of all backgrounds, genders and abilities.
Send your CV and cover letter to hello[AT]silvercircledistillery.com with the subject line 'Assistant Distiller'.
Application deadline is Feb 13, 2022. Start date March/April.